Monday, January 25, 2010

Some more on the .17 HMR


Looking at my notes and some ballistics data that I found on Hornadys web site something occured to me. Hitting something at 400 yards with the .17 HMR is like shooting the .223 Rem at 1000 yards. The little round is just so affected by the wind that it might make a snake shaped path to the target depending upon the winds that you are shooting in. I am sure that most people who have claimed hits at 400 yards were not lying but I do also belive that they would be hard pressed to repete what they did on another day.

The picture is a photo snip that I took off of the Hornady Ballistics Calculator. You can clearly see that past 200 yards the little round has to fight for every inch. You can also see that the energy drops to almost nothing at 400 yards. So this reinforces my previous statement that this round should only be used for punching paper at any range past 200 yards. It is the only responsible thing to do.

Now the data in the picture above is only a rough starting point. I have seen this program and others like it be fairly close. The problem is that as range increases so does the error in the ballistic calculator.

I just wanted to add this to my last blog so that you will all have the same ammount of information that I have. CHEERS

No comments:

Post a Comment