Sunday, January 31, 2010

Building an AK-47 from a parts kit.

I got bored at work the other night and stumbled onto a video of a guy that was building his very own AK-47. It looked easy enough (how projects have I started thinking that) but the guy was using some specialty jigs and a shop press for the project. After looking into this a little deeper I can get a Romanian Ak-47 parts kit (everything but the reciever) for under $100.00. A 100% complete lower reciever is an FFL item and they run around $100.00 as well. So I figure another $50.00 to cover the things that I am uneducated on and I have a rifle for under $300.00. Not bad.
So why mention this. Well first off the jigs make the finished product look better and they no doubt make the project a little easier. BUT they are not cheap. The most useful jig is $250.00. If I did build one rifle the cost of the jigs makes buying a completed rifle cheaper but if one or two other people pitched in and got kits as well then this would be a great item to have. There are a few other jigs that totaled to around $200.00 that would make the project much easier. But again even building two rifles would not offset the cost of those items.

I may decide to get a kit an a couple of the flat recievers (no FFL dealer required) and give this a go anyhow. If this is something that is fun then the jigs can be bought as needed for future builds. I guess the project itself is intreguing to me. I would love to have an AK but there is just no way that I see spending more than $300.00 for a great one. Imagine have cool it would be to show up at the range with a Krinkov SBR that you built. Or even a regular fixed stock AK-47.

So if there is anyone out there that has the desire for an AK but does not feel like laying down the full price for one maby building your own is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment