Wednesday, February 3, 2010

FN-FAL

Been thinking about getting a new gun! When does it stop? Never! Well I mad a huge mistake a while back and traded off my Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 for a tweaked AR-15 and scope. While it is a great shooting rifle it has a very limited role in my shooting sports. The .223 Rem is just not enough to hunt deer with and the rifle is way to long to hunt anything that requires a long walk. The AR-15 is at home firing from the prone at distant small varmits. I have two AR-15 that are set up very diffrently and the long range version is the one that I want to get rid of. What do I want to replace it with? Well that is the question.
I love the power of the .308 Winchester. For me this is the absolute most verstile round here in America. For one it is commonly available. Wolf and other manufactures make cheap steel cased ammo for volume shooting and I handload my long range precision target and hunting ammo. I was not that impressed with my SOCOM 16 and that is why I decided to get rid of the thing in the first palce. But in so doing I created a void in my gun collection that needs to be filled.
The FN-FAL has always been a rifle that has cought my eye. Sleek, powerful, and most importantly it is controlable and accurate. This day and age people want shorter rifles and the standard FN-FAL is by no means short. If I am thinking correctly it is over 41" long. This rifle is probably the most widly issued "Battle Rifle" in the history of modern warfare. Now days though they seem to always fetch high prices. This gun will satisfy my desire to have yet another military rifle that I can hunt with. Weight is not that big of a deal to me when stalking the woods. Accuracy, reliablity, and user interface (grip, safety, charging handle, etc) are more important to me. So I should be able to hunt most North American big game with this boom stick. Now on a tactical side the .308 is a clear winner over the .223. More of everything like range, power, and penetration is never a bad thing. So when you are facing down bad guys armed with the .223 then you can not go wrong with the .308 it just makes sense. So right now I am on the look out for a good used FAL. If you know anyone out there that has one they would be willing to part with then just let me know................CHEERS

No comments:

Post a Comment